Summer Walk Report 13 - Seaton Sluice to St Mary's Lighthouse, Whitley Bay, 21st August 2012.

The penultimate walk on the Camera Club Summer Programme took place on the evening of Tuesday 21st August 2012 as thirteen members walked from Seaton Sluice to St Mary's Lighthouse, Whitley Bay.
As we headed south on the busy cliff top footpath, this elevated position gave us fine views across Hartley Bay towards the lighthouse and south across St Mary's Bay, with the dome of the Spanish City on Whitley Bay seafront, lit by the evening sun.
On arrival at our destination, high tide saw members taking photographs from the clifftop, the beach and the end of the flooded causeway, in an attempt to capture this popular tourist attraction & local landmark.
St Mary's lighthouse was opened in 1898, stands 120ft tall and is cut off from the mainland twice a day by the tide. Closed by Trinity House in 1984 as a working light, some of the buildings are now a museum and visitor centre. The island is also designated nature reserve with curlew, lapwing and herons amongst the birds resident in the area.
As dark clouds rolled in from the west bringing the threat of rain, it was clear that the nights are starting to cut in and in a short time the evening sunlight had disappeared.The group then walked back to Seaton Sluice where the local population of frogs on the footpath was an unexpected and unusual sight.
Thank you to all who attended.

  

Davy Bolam.